Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Thankful Peace

this was originally posted this two years ago today. I went looking for it this morning, because I have been pondering this connection again...
___
While studying recently I stumbled across a little something that I find remarkable!

Read with me for a moment, paying close attention to the similarities in these verses...

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, withthanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is rightwhatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." Philipians 4:6-9


Again, Paul emphasizes,
"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful." Colossians 3:15

Our state of mind and our thankful heart has so much to do with whether we allow thepeace of God take over our spirits.

Over and over again in the New Testament God connects thanksgiving with peace. Isnt that amazing? He knows us!

He knows that when we take the time to thank him, we will remember our blessings, and rest in the knowledge of His provision.

God is a smart fella.

If your anxiousness today feels overwhelming...stop and thank Him. Thank Him for the home you have to keep, the children who are healthy enough to make the messes, the husband who has committed to your partnership, the money to buy the groceries, the vehicle you have to do the errands you hate doing :)

"And the peace that transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6

4 comments:

  1. Why haven't I found you before? What a wonderful post! I have some unpeaceful items lurking and am trying to give it to God, but it's so hard. Maybe being thankful for the rough patch will help the peace come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good point! I think the times when I am the most stressed is when I am more fearful of what I might LOSE than I am thankful for what I HAVE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto what Kim said! I always freak out when I don't think there's enough... money, time, food, clean (floor, kitchen, laundry, etc). But when I have a more thankful heart for what we DO have, then I'm "cool with it" :P LOL. You know what I mean. Thanks for the great post and for the encouragement to be thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Today while driving down the road - late for an appointment, thinking about all the things on my "To-Do List", I saw a couple hovered around a pay phone, at a gas station in the boiling heat. I saw no car near them. I said a prayer for them and then a prayer of thankfulness.

    I was driving in my very cool mini-van, on my way to have coffee with a young lady in our church. I figured that whatever they were talking about was probably centered around finances. They didn't have a car. They obviously do not have a cell phone... and they looked very unhappy.

    All of a sudden... my life looked pretty good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails