Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sacrificing the Body

I think it is interesting how often our bodies are related to our holiness and our relationship with God, both in the Old Testament and the New Testament.  In the OT, the Israelites are called to purify their bodies, refrain from certain foods, cleanse, groom, segregate disease ...their bodies were an act of worship to God and the way they used their bodies showed a level of devotion to His law.

So too in the New Testament ..."dear friends let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates the body and the spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God." 2 Cor 7:1

..what we do with our bodies, reflects our efforts toward holiness.  I think I have always assumed that fit under the "dont drink, smoke or have sex before you are married"  category of do's and dont's.

Lately, though, I have been considering more about how my body is such valuable resource to God, and is so thoroughly used by the Holy Spirit every minute of the day.  I have considered more about how my care for it is an example of my offering "your body as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God ...this is your spiritual act of worship!"  Romans 12:1

Wow. I feel challenged by this idea that I need to focus on my body a bit more ...working on "perfecting my holiness", by caring for what God has given me. 

Just like we so desire to control our stress levels and are motivated by a greater purpose than just to be "less stressed" (rather, to be of greater use for the purposes to which God called us, using our resources more effectively so we are more perfect tools for Him) - I am seeking to find that same greater purpose in taking care of my body.

I think taking care of ourselves means different things for different people - it may mean losing weight to a healthier range, it may mean better eating, better hydrating, taking your medication, or not taking any at all. It may mean that you exercise more, eat less or work on your wardrobe ...regardless, its about working on making this body God gave us more usable for His purposes, rather than all the reasons the world tells us we need work on our bodies.

I am using a tool right now to help me do that - I am using Weight Watchers Online (*I am NOT being endorsed in any way to say this BTW ...I just wanted to make that clear! :) and have for about 4 weeks. I have found it is a really great way to keep me on track and focus just enough energy on my physical resources that I dont get too caught up in all of it, but am learning how to take better care of myself.

The online tools are super easy to use, and help me keep track of healthy habits aside from eating the right things (which it also does a great job of doing). It helps me keep track of drinking water, taking my vitamins, and daily activity ..which is a big plus for me.

With all the business in my life, I dont have time for meetings and weigh-ins  (having an infant on one hip and a toddler hanging on my leg would mess up the scale anyways) ...so being able to log in and track my foods, habits and weight at a time when things are more settled down around here, is a huge benefit to doing this online.  I have done both (going to meetings and online)..and this works for me.

Its not as much about losing weight, as about work on making my body sacrifice for the benefit of its Creator...(she says, as she downs coffee serving #2:)

In what ways do you work to perfect holiness in your body? ..how do you present your body as a living sacrifice?

{welcome ifellowshippers!}

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts. As I am always motivated by your endeavors, I have also been focusing more on what I put into my body. Thanks for the inspiration and the spiritual focus!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails