Monday, June 6, 2011

Week 5: 2 Corinthians 9:8

{And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things and at all times, having everything you need, you will abound in every good work." 2 Cor 9:8}

Our last of verses we are specifically looking at in terms of the topic of grace ..this one is my favorite! 

I think it is because of all the weeks leading up to this point ..grace has a whole new meaning for me than it did five weeks ago, and so it means all the more to know this promise. 

It also means so much because how real it makes grace ...to be able to abound in good works, to fulfill my purpose, to fulfill the roles that God has called me to ..these are all things that can be felt and appreciated. You can know that God has fulfilled this promise right here and now! :)

Part of the reason that it is so clear, so because I am so aware of my weaknesses, my faults and my inadequacies. Its is because of that feeling of "I cant do this!" that creates an even deeper appreciation for what God can and does for me!

The wording ...."to make all grace abound TO you." implies such a separation from what I can do and what God does for me. I see outstretched hands, overflowing with blessings pointed in my direction. They are being blessed "to" me. Not through me, or from inside me but TO me. It leaves so little chance to take the credit! 

The context of this passage makes the promise that much more meaningful (as it usually does) when we realize that Paul is talking about giving to others. He is talking about being generous, and the challenging his readers with the blessings that come apart from sharing what God has given for this express purpose. 

He says in the preceding verses ..."Each man should give what he has determined in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves  a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work."vs 7-8

Keep reading ..its gets better ..."He has scattered abroad his gifts to the poor; his righteousness endures forever. How he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge your harvest of righteousness. You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result with thanksgiving to God." vs 9-11

If you believe that you a purpose in Christ, that He has chosen you for the purpose of His calling, that you are His and that you belong in Him - you are given everything you need to be all and do all that is included in that. 

He doesnt do it for you, but for the harvest of righteousness that your good works will bring. Your good works that are powered by His perfect plan (Eph 2:8 .."for we are God's workmanship created in Christ Jesus to do good works which God prepared in advance for us to do."), your good works that will result in bringing others to him through their awareness that only God can provide so abundantly. 

God's grace is all that we need, and its is abundantly all that we need! ..what a great and precious promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails