Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Why..?

During this time when so many of us are ready hit the ground running making ourselves better moms, wives and women, I think its a good time to really question what our motivations are for doing that.

Motivation has a TON to do with how we will suceed those goals, and if we should even adjust some of them!



When making your new years resolutions this year, ask yourself why?  ...it will help determine how you are going to use your resources to get there.

We are called to "do everything as working for the Lord, and not for man" Colossians 3:   ...if we are truly doing that, then we just changed how we distribute a good portion of our mental, emotional, time-focused and physical resources.

Why are you trying to lose weight?  ...to fit into a cultural norm that says we need to be this BMI to be "healthy"? Or so that you can take better care of your physical resources?  ...on one hand you may use misuse resources God gave you to overly focus on your body, on the other you may find every area of your life more balanced and God glorifying.

The difference in motivation may be the difference of 20 pounds ...because I could probably get down to a perfect little 135 ..but I would have to focus 100% on that area of my life. But, I may learn to be content with (ahem...) a higher number, so that I can give only its due in that area ..making sure I am giving what God needs to be in every area of my life.

The difference in motivation may be a spotless house, and one that is organized enough for my family to function well. The difference my also be being happy with just enough, rather than more than I need in the way of new clothes or new stuff. 

Does that make sense?

Only when we couple our resources with the right motivations, can we trust that we will be appropriating our resources the way we need to be.

HOW do we do that..you may ask? ..I am glad you did :)

To answer that, we have to look at anothers' motivation.

Lets take a look at John 16 ...During the last evening of discussion of Jesus and his disciples Jesus assures and comforts his friends by saying, "...I tell you the truth: it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you. But, If I go I will send Him to you." 16:7

Without Christ's death, the Holy Spirit could not come ..but why do we need that? 

"But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I love with you, my peace I give you."  15:16   and again in 16:13"..when he, the Spirit of Truth, comes he will guide you into all truth."  

What does that mean for us, and what we do with our days? ..."His divine power {His Spirit in us} has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.  Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world, caused by evil desires." 2 Peter 1:3-4
 
 His motivation ...Ephesians chapter 1, vs 4ff ..."for He chose us in Him before the creation of the world, to be holy and blameless in His sight. In love He predestined us to be adopted as sons through Jesus Christ in accordance with his pleasure and will."

I am so amazed that the Spirit in me knows all of God ...that same Spirit guides me in Truth. The Truth guides us to bring pleasure to God!  ...and I have everything in me to do that already!
  
This year, as I plan my goals and hopes for myself I desire {as I am sure you do} to bring pleasure and glory to God! I can only do that by allowing the Spirit in my to guide my motivations, my use of resources, my plans and my days.

That may mean my BMI is higher than the Wii Fit is happy with ..but I am okay with that :)

{Welcome ifellowshippers ..I am blessed by your being here!}

2 comments:

  1. I found you via iFellowship this morning. What a blessing. Your words are just what I needed to read today. Happy New Year. ~Liz

    www.thefloweringdogwood.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Court! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails