Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Week 3: Peace is Good

This week we are focusing on what we gain by decreasing our stress, instead what we are missing by having it! A refreshing change, dont you think?

In class we did alot of scripture referencing, and we want to do no less here.

Peace is something that everyone wants, and those in Christ are promised to have in abundance. Through the Spirit we are able to fill the hole in our spirits that desires peace more than anything. We have peace at our disposal through the God we serve, and the Son who died for us.

Peace is mentioned 247 times in scripture. Of the gifts of the Holy Spirit it is mentioned second only to love. It is referred to in all but one of the books of the New Testament, and all of the letters of Paul. It is an ongoing theme throughout the entire Word of God, mentioned in all but 14 of the 66 books of the Bible. God and Jesus are referred to as the God of Peace, and the Prince of Peace.

What is so great about this thing, called peace?

Peace is...a reflection of God's character in us. "May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through." I Thess 5:23

Peace is ...the message we speak to those around us. "You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, telling the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all.” Acts 10:36

Peace is...the result of our eternal perspective. "For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.” 2 Corinthians 4:17

Peace is ...what happens when we allow our minds to be of Christ and the Spirit. "The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace." Romans 8:6

Peace is ...the way of the righteous. "The fruit of righteousness will be peace; the effect of righteousness will be quietness and confidence forever” Isaiah 32:17

Peace is... a blessing from God. Psalms 29:11 ..."The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace."

Peace is ...a beautiful prayer for another believer. "May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, 21equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen" Hebrews 13:20

Peace is ...to give all our oppressive thoughts and emotions to him.”Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” Philippians 4:6

Peace is ...God's desire for His church. …”If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.” Romans 12:18

There is so much to learn of peace ..and we will keep focusing on learning more about this incredible gift of God in us.

For now, consider that when we are full of anxiety, fret and stress we prevent this wonderful experience from filling us to its full potential. Not that its not available to us, but when we are using up our senses with those light and momentary things, they arent available to be filled with the calm that comes from our experiencing Christ, the Prince of Peace in us.

Calm, rest, safe, trust ...peace.

Ponder Point: What does peace mean to you?

Verse of the Week: "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. '" Romans 15:13

Discussion Questions: Do you feel that stress takes away your peace? In what way?

3 comments:

  1. I missed class on Wednesday and will be in northwest TN. I hate to be out. Peace to me is something to strive toward. Growing up in the home that I did as a child never gave me a true feeling of peace. It is something I have seen my dear mother crave. I am trying to come to peace with some of my past hurts. I think peace does not mean we forget but we do not have the raw hurt and constant replaying of the hurts in our minds or hearts. It means there is a contentment and assurance. This true feeling of peace comes from God. That is why I am striving to get closer to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I LOVE these verses. They really illuminate how wonderful peace is. I am so thankful to have had a front row seat as you have traveled down the path God had for you this past year, b/c it has personally given me so much peace in my life. I was just ruminating to Greg on the way home from Nashville, that though this year has been rough circumstantially, and while I have daily bouts of frustration in the whole motherhood/homemaking journey, overall, I feel a real peace and joy that permeates despite the external circumstances, major or minor. And I really feel like God has used you and your pursuit of peace to help bless me with that.

    I know this was not in response to your discussion question, but it is in response to your blog. Just reading the way you laid out the Word made me realize how much I love peace, and how grateful I am to you for helping to show it to me so clearly.

    Okay, the discussion question....hmm, what was it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes. (I had to look back and see.)

    I do feel like stress can take away my peace, but I'm also beginning to understand that we face temporary, minor stresses everyday, but can still have that deeper, permeating peace. For example, the other evening at Lipscomb, it was 1,000 degrees; the kids were dirty and tired; I was tired; I needed to begin to load them up and make the 25 minute drive to the house we were staying to give them baths and put them to bed; Greg had just learned that the bus wouldn't crank (and we were supposed to leave the next morning); I had just spent half an hour on a fruitless internet and cell phone quest for alternate transportation while my daughter climbed on a table and my son literally de-bricked Bison Square; I didn't know where Greg was; I was nauseated; and I was currently in an unconditioned bathroom in the stall with my son waiting for him to poop.

    At that moment, I felt kind of like I was going to lose my mind.

    But five minutes later, as I hauled my two children across campus to the van, I reflected on why I was feeling so frustrated (a practice I got from you), and I realized that it was just the boiling point of several, temporary, physical circumstances. And it had passed. Hopefully, one day, I won't be such a slave to the physical and won't get so frustrated by such things, but even now, I can recognize it as a passing stress that really has nothing to do with my inner peace.

    So I guess my answer is to your question is: sometimes. If it is a faith-based or long-term stress, then yes. But I think we can have the little stresses that come with everyday, recognize them as such, and not let them interfere with our deeper joy and peace.

    Sorry that was so long! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails