Monday, October 4, 2010

Dymanic Priorities

I think every book on stress makes a point about the need to prioritize. We need to make a mental, if not actual list of the things that are the most important to us.

Of course, I would agree that knowing what you are aiming for and why is a great thing to do in order to get your head on straight. I think most of us here would say that our priorities in order would be God,  marriage, kids, us, home  ...I think that is right, and good.

But one think I have noted lately is that our priorities are somewhat dynamic, given the day, the resources and several other variables that have yet to be determined today.

While in general these priorities are always present and if a gun was put to our heads they would be placed in that order ..in reality there are times when we have to switch stuff around in order to meet the needs of those around us, those we are responsible for molding long term.

Like, for instance ...when Steedly School is in session, my kids being the focus of my use of resources at the moment, but I feel like I am about to lose my mind with impatience and frustration. Kids are way more important than me, right?

Priorities need to do some rearranging, in order for me to get my own head in the game. I need to go eat, take a break, take a breath, take a shower ...I need to put me first, for the sake of the ultimate priority of my children.

With hubby in nursing school and working full time (can you say SUPER dad!) there have been some stressful moments when there are deadlines and tests to be studied for. Our marriage always comes first, but then again there are times when I have to chose that today is not the best one for a date night, and that the priority is him focusing on the task he has taken on.

I really feel like there are days when priorities have to be evaluated on a minute to minute basis! I feel like I need to reevaluate and redirect regularly throughout the day, in order to use my resources best.

Ultimately, our priorities stay the same ...but the order they are in (aside from God first, but He is kinna always there and present in everything, hopefully) is dynamic and can be based on what we have available to us, and the needs of those around us.

If you are feeling stressed right now ...is it because you need to rearrange your priorities temporarily

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails