Monday, January 26, 2009

Destress: Let It Go..for now

Let me let you in on a major DEstressing mindset that a friend of mine shared with me. It has really helped our home, as it lets me off the hook a bit in my own mind.

I know that I am not the only one who gets eternally frustrated with my inability to keep things straight. The living room in our house is a mess 99.9% of the time. Why? Because kids live here. That is all. NOT because I am a bad housekeeper ..but because they are kids, and because they could make a mess in a room with padded walls and nothing else.

Now, we could stress ourselves out totally and constantly be picking up as every toy hits the floor, or on them every second to clean up after themselves ..but does that sound the worthy stress? I dont think so.

As shared with me, you can have times of the day when you take the time to achieve that "neat" status ..and not worry about it the rest of the time.

Really?

Yes. You can. AND, its kinda nice.

Here is what our pickup routine has become ...a pickup midmorning before morning snack, (living room/playroom only), a before-nap pickup (living room and boys room), a before-daddy gets-home pickup (living room only) and a before-bed pickup (living room and boys room).

Each of these may only be 5-10 minutes. But, for that time things are straighter and help usher in the next part of the day on a good note.

As my friend put it, if you have those times that you are committed to picking up, "then you can let it go the rest of the time."

I like that, and it does help me to think at 9am .."its a mess, but in about an hour we are gonna pickup so okay!"

Hope this helps you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails