Wednesday, December 1, 2010

By Default: Part 2

Continuing our thinking about defaults, I have been pondering what my own default settings are.

I have been keenly aware of those things that come the most naturally to me. These are the things that I do without thinking, that I without effort and my first and most base response to situations around me. My default settings may include what causes fear, what causes anxiety, what incites passion, what I consider my "strengths" ...these are the things that make up the "me" part of me, both good and bad,

For me I have noted that by default I love order, I am good a seeing another's perspective, I am laid back and not easily frazzled, and I am confident in who I am.  I have noticed, also though, that my defaults left to themselves cause me to be a bit controlling, interfering, undisciplined and quite selfish.

My defaults can be both resources, and the source of "evil desires" ...see this verse, just one after my favorite passage,  2 Peter 1:4 ..."..he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature (HIS nature, HIS default settings ..if you will) and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires (aka, OUR nature, OUR default desires)."

How great that we can escape those things that do not bring glory to God ...which is what must happen for us to find True Peace. How great that we have "everything we need" to escape things that many would say are "just the way we are."

It kinna takes away excuses we make for doing things that are not glorifying to God, and weakens the case the world makes for doing things because they "feel good" or the constant encouragement around us to "follow our heart" doesnt it?    ...the truth is, if it doesnt fall in line with God and His laws, then no matter how "natural" it is for you ...well, it still is not what God desires you to be.

How often have you heard (or said yourself) .."well, that is just the way I am, you can take it or leave it?" How often have we been confronted with situations where what comes "naturally" to us hurts someone and our response is "well, you just have to accept that is how I speak/act/think?" ...or have you been the victim of this thinking? How often to we blame others for their reaction to us, rather than take responsibility for the fact that respond how we do by default, but that may not be the best way to react to something/someone?

I know I am guilty of using my default settings as excuses ...God doesnt give us the pleasure, though.

Thus, the need for those "fruits of the Holy Spirit". From this list, note which ones would be helpful in resisting/resetting our default settings to be more in line with God's divine nature ..."love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self control." Galatians 5:20

Cool, huh? ..we really do have "everything we need...to participate in the divine nature"!  2 Peter 1:3-4

Welcome ifellowshippers ..so glad you are here!

3 comments:

  1. Visiting from iFellowship. Happy Wednesday.
    Great reminder about not making excuses and taking responsibility for our actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Court, I love that you finally found a way to talk about what I've been pondering for months - the idea that every attribute we have can be seen as both a strength and a weakness. The same things that make me determined and caring also make me stubborn and overbearing. And I love your thoughts on how to make sure we don't make excuses for the negatives by submitting every part of ourselves to God. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks girls ...I appreciate your comments..Molly, I thought you would like that :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails